Between Worlds Study Guide
The 1971 Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act titled land to Alaska Natives and created corporations to support Alaska Natives economically.
Two class periods
- For background, have students read the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act section of the Modern Alaska unit narrative.
- Using the Between Two World Study Guide, have students read the "Economic Powerhouses" article and respond to the following. In 1991 the Alaska Chamber of Commerce threw a party to commemorate the 20-year anniversary of ANCSA. Cite from this article, seven positive economic benefits that excited the Chamber.
- Have students read Subsistence by Lori Thompson and answer the following.
- Explain why subsistence has been a major state issue since ANCSA.
- Why has the federal government stepped in and regulated both game (and recently) fish on federal land?
- In your opinion, has ANCSA helped or hurt the average Native Alaskan? Explain why and how.
- Native leaders in the 21st Century will have a demanding job in bringing about a balance. Have students write an essay explaining the nature of this problem and what they think will happen in the next ten years.
History: A, B, C, D
Culture: A, B, E
AK History: AH. CPD 5, AH. CPD 6, AH. ICGP 3, AH. CC 5, AH. CC 7
||Study Guide responses and essay show a rich under-standing of ANSCA and its impacts as well as the challenges of the future. Extra research is reflected in the written work which is clearly presented.
||Study Guide responses have been written; essay addresses the impacts of ANSCA and implications for the future.
||Study Guide reflects the fact that some reading has been done. Essay has been initiated.
||Study Guide has not been completed. Essay has not been written.
View this page as an Adobe PDF file